7.30.2009

Top 5 Most Underrated Fast Food Restaurants


1. Arby's
This roast beef joint is the only place I could suggest for lunch and actually be met with laughter. Not objections or sounds of disgust, but incredulous laughter, assuming that I would never actually suggest a meal served by the anthropomorphic oven mitt. In fact, I think the place has been so ridiculed that even the staff refuses to accept that it's a legitimate restaurant. Whenever I approach an empty Arby's drive-thru, I half expect to hear, "Welcome to Arby's. Why are you here?" This makes their slogan, "I'm thinking Arby's," completely ineffective. No one ever thinks Arby's. Ever.

Why the Arby's hate?
Their food, to me, is miraculous. Arby's scientists have managed to pack an insane proportion of juiciness-per-square-millimeter of roast beef in their thin strips of meat. The curly fries are like no other. The number one objection I get is that their roast beef looks like "skin grafts," which makes me wonder if anyone even knows what a skin graft looks like. Other than the fact that their meat is sliced thin and is slightly flesh-colored, there's no way a skin graft is that tasty. Or comes with cheddar. Or can be purchased with curly fries and jalapeno poppers in a 5 for $5 deal in the ER waiting room.

2. Burger King

You can only assume that the Burger King on Texas Ave in College Station was the cover for a money laundering operation, because it inexplicably stayed in business my entire time at A&M despite their only customers being lost Tri-Delts looking for Jason's Deli. They've really had a bad run of luck: first Dane Cook gives them unwanted press to the "massive tool" market, then they hire an ad agency whose campaigns' only purpose seems to be to terrify people.

It's unfortunate, given that Burger King has the most classic fast food hamburger on the market (the Whopper), and apparently started the classic one-misplaced-onion-ring-in-the-fries fast food trope (seriously - you're guaranteed one). Burger King francises seem to be dropping like flies around the areas I live, so I actually haven't been to one in upwards of five years. But I'm sure it's still good.

3. Fazoli's
The one time I was able to convince my friends to eat at Fazoli's with me, they all pretended to get food poisoning. I will most likely have to eat alone if I ever want to try Fazoli's again. Fazoli's has the distinct advantage of being one of the only fast food Italian restaurants I can think of, and also the only place where a magical fairy flits around dropping free breadsticks on your plate. My only objection is that the fairy sometimes comes around a little too rarely, but that's easily made up for by simply demanding 8-10 breadsticks when she comes by your table. Problem solved.

4. Burger Boy
This one's pretty College Station centric, but I felt it deserved mention. I had friends who lived at The Tradition who claimed never have eaten there despite the fact that it was directly underneath their apartment. Since they have free delivery on ca
mpus, their business comes mainly from the orders of overweight administrative assistants, but I think it deserves more credibility from A&M students. It's actually one of the better burgers available in BCS. Plus they have a nice patio that's never crowded. Obviously.

5. McDonald's
This is one of those places that people refuse to go to because they think that's just what they're supposed to do. Sure, they once squeezed their burgers out of a tube and arguably led to the downfall of a healthy American populace. But they are one of the few fast food restaurants where you can still eat for under $5, and they literally are fast food - you typically will get your meal in one to three minutes. Their fries are still excellent, their chicken is all white-meat, and their mascot is a friendly clown that helps cancer victims. Also, you're on a road trip and it's the only option besides a chimichanga at Allsup's. Deal with it, Glenn.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/arbys.asp

josh koenig said...

nice

Aggie said...

This is the best thing that's happened to me since Tall Guy Looks Confused, which had been the best thing that had happened to me since Loaf of William, which had been the best thing that had happened to me since your Xanga site.

You might eventually become limited by the name of the blog, but I assume this blog will only be up for a few days. So we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Anonymous said...

Can I get a ruling on the various delicious but sketchy fast food Mexican restaurants? Or are they not American Culture? Glenn loves Arby's

Andy Eppler said...

What about Boston Market? I feel like not enough people know how good it is.

Anonymous said...

what about cici's! Mac and cheese pizza, cinnamon rolls and four helpings or more of bliss.

manchild said...

this blog has literally limitless possibilities. i can't wait to get your take on:
television personalities
websites
tamu student organizations
texas cities
fashion
romantic comedies (or 'rom coms' i prefer to call them)

Kellen said...

arby's meat = skin graft

Anonymous said...

"then they hire an ad agency whose campaigns' only purpose seems to be to terrify people."

funny

Glenn Phillips said...

Glenn does love Arby's, but more importantly, Glenn loves Taco Bell and publicly shuns all the people who make outrageous claims that they "just couldn't eat it." It's cheap and delicious. It's equivalent to people who balk and scream and wail when someone turns on counrty music. They don't hate it, they hate themselves and are deparately trying to be unique. By the bye I believe it was the author of this blog who coined the term, Fa-throw-up-ies.

Unknown said...

fa-throwup-in-my-mouthies

Anonymous said...

hey mr.sea! this is emmanuel,i was checking out blogspot and found ur blog,wierd huh?